Tuesday, December 30, 2008

New Blog Gadget - Followers

Been updating my blog, among other things, and found a new gadget with which I'd like you to help me out. If you are reading my blog, please "follow me" with the new gadget called "Followers" in the right hand column just under my picture.

I've always wanted a way to see who is reading this blog (since I get very few posts), and I hope this is the answer.

Now research shows that

* 90% of users are lurkers (i.e., read or observe, but don't contribute).
* 9% of users contribute from time to time, but other priorities dominate their time.
* 1% of users participate a lot and account for most contributions: it can seem as if they don't have lives because they often post just minutes after whatever event they're commenting on occurs.
from Jakob Nielsen on Why No One Comments on Your Blog.

I'm sure there is a lot of other research out there regarding percentage of readers versus commenters, but this one fit my post so I'll stop with it. You can let me know about the others if you choose to do more research, thanks.

Anyway, click on that little follow option . . . I appreciate it.

Here is a link to the Help about following

2 comments:

Blogger In Middle-earth said...

Kia ora Connie!

There has been a lot of study on lurkers and not all this century either.

In January I wrote an article on Futurelab on Working with Online Communities. One of the many links takes you to a page of links to reported studies on the lurker by Nonnecke and Preece. Check it out.

Ngā mihi nui
Best wishes
from Middle-earth

Ham Viloria said...

there are a lot of information you can find on the internet these days and gadget news are one of the many things you can click on.