Thursday, May 22, 2008

My Personal Summer Reading Program

What in your view is the best book on teaching and why? What teaching book do you recommend? Share your views and experiences. I received this discussion forum through an email from Teacher Magazine. It is a discussion forum, that as I read, I wanted to make a list. Now I have my own summer reading program. I’d like to grow the list with your best book on teaching and why? Might be a valuable list for a professional development collection. I’ll let you know after I read them.
I look forward to hearing about your favorite teaching book.
Check out the post by Anthony Rebora.

1. 100 Paid Adventures for Teachers by Jill Frankfort - to find wonderful free programs and grants for teachers around the world
2. Checking for Understanding by Fisher and Frey
3. In The Middle: New Understanding About Writing, Reading and Learning by Nancie Atwell
4. Mosaic of Thought by Ellin Oliver Keene and Susan Zimmerman
5. Papers, Papers, Papers: An English Teacher’s Survival Guide by Carol Jago
6. Behavior Management: Principles and Practices of Positive Behavior Supports, by John J. Wheeler, David Dean Richey
7. Teachers Change Lives 24/7: 150 Ways to Do It Right, by Jim Burgett
8. Teaching Kids with Mental Health and Learning Disorders in the Regular Classroom, Miles L. Cooley
9. Teaching Phonics And Word Study In The Intermediate Grades, by Wiley Blevins
10. Teaching With Love and Logic by Jim Fay
11. TeamWork: Setting the Standard for Collaborative Teaching, Grades 5-9, by Monique D. Wild, Amanda S. Mayeaux, Kathryn P. Edmonds, Jack C. Berckemeyer
12. The Art of Teaching Writing by Lucy Calkins (also The Art of Teaching Reading)
13. The Power of Reading by Stephen Krashen
14. The Teacher's Essential Guide to Effective Instruction, by Jim Burke
15. Tom Sawyer at 2nd-3rd, 3rd-4th, and 5th-6th grade levels), students with disabilities ranging from mild learning disabilities to mental retardation were able to engage in tear-jerkingly high level discussions about race, author's purpose and morality.
16. What Really Matters for Struggling Readers by Richard Allington
17. Why Are School Buses Always Yellow? by John Barell


Check out my Shelfari of these books that I’m planning to read.


>

No comments: