Monday, August 30, 2010

One of the Best Learning Adventures

A learning adventure that I only remember once during my youth (at age 14 in the White Mountains of Arizona) is camping.  My memories of that particular camping experience were my brand new white tennis shoes getting wet in the creek and my Mom putting them by the fire to dry and theyir suffering a burn :) and brushing my teeth over the creek (we wouldn't do that anymore).  I wish I had had more camping experiences, but have made up for it as an adult and parent.

Reflection is at its best in the flames of the fire at night with an alternate view of the Milky Way,  the trickling of a waterfall in the creek over the rocks and pebbles, and walking alone with your thoughts and feelings, but also with family and friends on a hike with millions of views of nature along the path.

Normally we see beautiful rocks, flowers of every color and size, boundless greenery as well as pine trees dying from bark beetle infestations, remains of past fires, bones of animals, feathers of birds, beaver dams, animal tracks including domestic ones and most anything else you can imagine.  This past weekend was a first - "gillions and gillions" of mushrooms.  Every size and color and quantity!  

Beautiful red!!

We called these popcorn!
Where are the fairies?
                  
 We saw white, orange, brown ones.  You know - the ones you always see.  But we also saw gold and purple tops like the red one.

This was the first camping trip ever for my new daughter.  I dare say the five mile hike in the wilderness with the 700' elevation climb was a first as well.  It was awesome to see her intrigue with the rocks of every shape, size and color. We were lucky to have additional family to mentor her along the way.  Change - denial, anger, sadness at what happens to you in life can be reflected upon as you walk safely in nature.  It is hard, hard, hard.  But as hard as it is, it is good, releasing and healthy.

I had to leave early to get to another commitment, but I heard that  both daughters with us were awesome breaking camp!  Yea!  Great kids! Almost adults. . . Sad though, they didn't want to go back next weekend like we older folks do.  Hope we didn't over do the hike length.  Time will tell.

What have you learned, reflected upon as you camped?

No comments: